Recipe by Minimalist Baker
- 1 flax egg
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup almond milk + 1 Tbsp lemon juice (or sub buttermilk)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp grape seed or canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips (non-dairy for vegan)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line muffin tin with paper liners.
- Prepare flax egg by mixing flax meal and water in a large bowl - let rest for 5 minutes.
- Add pumpkin puree, almond milk, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla extract and stir. Then add salt, baking soda and powder and cinnamon and whisk.
- Carefully place flours into a sifter and sift over wet ingredients and stir.
- Add chocolate chips and stir again lightly until just incorporated. If the batter appears too thick, add a splash of almond milk or orange juice. Otherwise, you're ready to bake!
- Spoon into paper-lined muffin tins (should be 11-12) until each liner is filled almost completely full (about 7/8ths). Sprinkle a few more chocolate chips on top for presentation (optional).
- Bake for 22-28 minutes or until fluffy, golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let rest in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an air-tight container or bag. Freeze for longterm storage.